Certainly! Here’s a simple recipe for chicken noodle soup:
Ingredients for Chicken Noodle Soup :
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups egg noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the chicken breasts and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are fully cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside to cool.
- Add the chopped onion, sliced carrots, sliced celery, minced garlic, dried thyme, and bay leaf to the pot with the chicken broth. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, shred the cooled chicken breasts using a fork or your hands.
- Once the vegetables are tender, remove the bay leaf from the pot and discard it. Add the shredded chicken back into the pot.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the egg noodles to the pot. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked al dente.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper according to your preference. Adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Serve the chicken noodle soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, you can use a slotted spoon to remove some of the vegetables and chicken from the pot. Blend them in a blender or food processor until smooth, then return the mixture to the pot and stir it in. This will help thicken the soup slightly.
- Once you’ve made any desired adjustments, let the soup simmer for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Ladle the hot chicken noodle soup into bowls and serve it immediately. You can garnish each bowl with some fresh parsley for added freshness and color.
- If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
- If you’d like to add some additional flavor to your chicken noodle soup, you can try the following variations:
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice just before serving for a bright, tangy twist.
- Sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese over the soup for a savory touch.
- Stir in a tablespoon of soy sauce or fish sauce for an umami boost.
- Add a handful of fresh spinach or kale leaves to the soup during the last few minutes of cooking for added nutrients.
- For a spicy kick, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce.
Enjoy your homemade chicken noodle soup!
Chicken noodle soup is not only comforting but also a great way to warm up on a chilly day or when you’re feeling under the weather. It’s a classic dish that is both nourishing and delicious. Enjoy!